Diogo Montenegro is a Brazilian IFBB Professional Bodybuilder and Men’s Physique competitor. Born on the 28th of January, 1991, he hails from the famous city of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. He began to train in 2005, at the age of 14, with the goal of looking like his bodybuilding inspiration, Frank McGrath. As he continued to train with weights, he fell in love with the whole process of constantly trying to improve oneself.
He has always found the physiques of the bodybuilders from the Golden Era, such as Frank Zane and Schwarzenegger to be the ultimate physique. As a result, he has always strived to look like them rather than the mass monsters present in the bodybuilding world today. For this reason, he competes in the Men’s Physique division of the IFBB, since it values aesthetics and proportions, rather than just how big the muscles are.
Facts about Diogo
- He is sponsored by Probiotica, a Brazilian manufacturer of supplements.
- He stands at a height of 1.7m and weighs 88kgs during the off-season and 78kgs during competition.
- His role models include the legendary Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone and Rob Van Damme.
- He is a three-time Mr. Olympia competitor.
- He is an entrepreneur and the founder and CEO of Storm Nutrition, based in Brazil.
- He does not have a coach and is also a bodybuilding coach himself.
Diogo began to compete in amateur bodybuilding shows from 2012. He finished 1st at the 2012 Expo Nutrition held in his hometown, Rio.
He won his IFBB Pro Card in 2014, with a 1st place finish at the Arnold Classic Europe. He was eligible to compete in IFBB sanctioned professional bodybuilding shows with prize money for the winners. He had achieved his first goal of becoming an IFBB professional.
At the 2015 IFBB Prestige Crystal Cup, Diogo finished in 1st place. As a result, he qualified for the most renowned bodybuilding competition in the world, the Mr. Olympia. At the 2015 Mr. Olympia, he only managed to finish in 16th place. Although he was one of the best among the amateur competitors, the professional circuit proved to be far more challenging. He decided to work harder the following year with the hopes of a top 10 finish.
Diogo had a pretty successful 2016. He had a top 5 finish at the 2016 IFBB Europa Orlando Pro, by placing 4th. Diogo’s next competition was the IFBB Pittsburgh Pro, where he finished in 8th place. At the IFBB Prestige Cup, he defended his title and won 1st place. He qualified for the 2016 Olympia with this victory. At the IFBB Tampa Pro that year, he finished in 3rd place. It considerably boosted his confidence as he entered the Olympia. Unfortunately, he only managed to place 16th again.
The following year, at the 2017 IFBB Europa Orlando, Diogo confirmed his Olympia participation with a 1st place finish. It was his first win as a professional. He had proven to be able to compete with the very best and come out on top. At the famous IFBB Toronto Pro Supershow, he finished in 3rd place. He then went on to place 2nd at the Miami Muscle Beach Pro. At the IFBB Europa Dallas, he finished in 7th place.
At the 2017 Mr. Olympia, Diogo finished in 16th place again. Although he was very disappointed, he refused to be disheartened and is working hard to improve his physique and posing. With a change in his workout regimen and nutrition, he hopes to be able to finally crack into the top 10 at the Olympia next year.
- 2017 Mr. Olympia Physique : IFBB Men’s Physique (16th)
- 2017 Toronto Pro Physique : Men’s Physique (3rd)
- 2016 Mr. Olympia Weekend Physique : IFBB Men’s Physique (16th)
- 2016 IFBB Tampa Pro Physique : IFBB Pro Men (3rd)
- 2016 Pittsburgh Pro Men’s Physique : IFBB Pro Physique (8th)
- 2015 Mr. Olympia Weekend Physique : IFBB Pro Men’s Physique (16th)