|Height||Weight||Date of Birth||Nationality|
|5 ft 9 in (1.8 m)||194 lbs (88 kg)||19690722||Trinidad|
Darrem Charles is a professional bodybuilder from Trinidad, currently competing with the IFBB. He was born in Arouca, Trinidad, on the 22nd of July, 1969. He has been competing in bodybuilding events for over 30 years and is one of the oldest and most experienced contestants. He became involved with strength training during his teenage years as a result of playing several sports.
Facts about Darrem Charles
- He has appeared on the cover of several magazines such as “Pump,” “Muscular Development” and “FLEX.”
- He has entered over 50 professional bodybuilding competitions throughout his career.
- He stands at a height of 5’ 9” and currently weighs around 190 lbs.
- He made a return to bodybuilding, at the age of 46 in the Classic Physique division.
- He has won fourteen professional shows and competed in the Olympia ten times.
- He competed in nine different IFBB competitions in 1995.
- He released a DVD in 2002 called “Darrem Charles: The Art of Posing.”
Darrem entered his first competition at the 1986 World Natural Bodybuilding Federation. He won 1st place.
He earned his Pro Card with a win at the 1992 World Amateur Championships in the light-heavyweight division. This win allowed him to compete at the Chicago Pro Invitational. He only finished in 12th place. He realized that to be able to compete top guys of the sport, he would have to work much harder. That is exactly what he did.
Over the next three years, Darrem had several top ten finishes. One of his best results was a 3rd place finish at the 1995 Florida Pro Invitational. IT qualified him for the Mr. Olympia competition. Only 20 of the top bodybuilders in the world are allowed to compete in the Olympia. The winner is given the title of “Mr. Olympia” and has the bragging rights to call himself the best bodybuilder in the world.
At the 1995 Olympia, Darrem finished last. He was not deterred by the result and was instead inspired by the legendary competitors such as Dorian Yates and Flex Wheeler. He would go on to use this experience in future competitions.
Between 1995 and 2000, Darrem had a series of top ten finishes. Although he couldn’t win a professional show, it was apparent that he was improving. He came very close at the 1998 Ironman Pro Invitational. He finished in 2nd place. It was very unfortunate that he had just missed out on 1st place. He also managed a 13th place at the 1998 Mr. Olympia, which was a fair improvement from his previous result.
The new millennium seemed to have great things in store for Darrem. He came 3rd at the Toronto Pro in 2000. Finally, 16 years after he first stepped on stage, Darrem won his first professional competition at the 2002 Southwest Pro Cup. He also placed 1st at the 2003 Maximum Pro invitational. At the 2003 Mr. Olympia, he had one of his best finishes with a 7th place. The following year, he went on to win the Toronto Pro Invitational.
His biggest win to date was at the 2005 IFBB New York Pro Championships. He beat the likes of Victor Martinez to secure the 1st place. His effort over the past few years had finally paid off. He went on to win the 2006 Atlantic City Pro, the 2007 Montreal Pro Championships and the 2008 Atlantic City Pro in the Masters Division.
Although he retired from bodybuilding in 2013, Darrem returned in 2016 to compete in the newly opened Classic Physique division. On his return, he won several competitions such as the 2016 Toronto Pro, the 2016 Puerto Rico Pro, the 2016 IFBB Wings of Strength Tampa Pro and the 2017 IFBB Karina Nascimento Pro.
At the 2017 Mr. Olympia, Darrem only managed to finish in 13th place. Perhaps next year he can have better luck and look for a top 10 finish at the Olympia.
- 2017 IFBB Karina Nascimento Pro, 1st
- 2016 Pittsburgh Pro, IFBB Pro Classic Physique, 2nd
- 2016 New York Pro, IFBB Men’s Classic Physique, 2nd
- 2016 Miami Muscle Beach, IFBB Men’s Classic Physique, 1st
- 2016 Puerto Rico Pro, IFBB Pro Classic Men Physique, 1st
- 2016 Toronto Pro, IFBB Pro Classic Men Physique, 1st
- 2016 Wings of Strength Chicago Pro, IFBB Pro Classic Men Physique, 1st
- 2016 IFBB Wings of Strength Tampa Pro, 2nd
- 2016 IFBB Olympia – Mens Physique Classic, 5th
- 2013 Arnold Classic Pro Bodybuilding, 9th
- 2012 Masters Mr. Olympia/Miami Pro, Masters Bodybuilding : IFBB Masters Men, 7th
- 2011 IFBB Pro World Masters Championships/Pro Bikini, Bodybuilding: Masters Men, 6th
- 2010 Pro Bodybuilding Weekly Championships, Men Open Class, 10th
- 2010 Europa Battle of Champions, Men Open 9th
- 2010 Europa Battle of Champions, Men, 1st
- 2010 NPC Dexter Jackson Classic, Mens Bodybuilding, 1st
- 2009 Europa Show Of Champions, 3rd
- 2009 New York Pro, 7th
- 2009 Sacramento Pro, 8th
- 2009 Mr. Olympia, 16th
- 2008 IFBB Tampa Bay Pro, 4th
- 2008 Atlantic City Pro, 3rd
- 2008 Atlantic City Pro (Masters Division), 1st
- 2008 Mr. Olympia, 11th
- 2007 Atlantic City Pro, 2nd
- 2007 Colorado Pro Championships, 2nd
- 2007 Keystone Pro Classic, 6th
- 2007 Montreal Pro Championships, 1st
- 2007 Mr. Olympia, 12th
- 2006 Arnold Classic, 8th
- 2006 Colorado Pro Championship, 2nd
- 2006 New York Pro, 2nd
- 2006 Europa Super Show, 4th
- 2006 Montreal Pro, 2nd
- 2006 Atlantic City Pro, 1st
- 2006 Mr. Olympia, 14th
- 2005 Arnold Classic, 6th
- 2005 New York Pro Championship, 1st
- 2005 Mr. Olympia, 9th
- 2005 Toronto Pro Invitational, 1st
- 2004 Florida Pro Xtreme Challenge, 1st
- 2004 Hungarian Pro Invitational, 2nd
- 2004 Night of Champions, 2nd
- 2004 Mr. Olympia, 10th
- 2004 Show of Strength Pro Championship, 2nd
- 2004 Toronto Pro Invitational, 1st
- 2003 Arnold Classic, 6th
- 2003 Ironman Pro Invitational, 5th
- 2003 Maximum Pro Invitational, 1st
- 2003 Mr. Olympia, 7th
- 2003 Show of Strength Pro Championship, 6th
- 2002 Night of Champions, 4th
- 2002 Mr. Olympia, 16th
- 2002 Southwest Pro Cup, 1st
- 2002 Toronto Pro Invitational, 4th
- 2001 Arnold Classic, 8th
- 2001 Mr. Olympia, 18th
- 2001 Toronto Pro Invitational, 3rd
- 2000 Arnold Classic, 7th
- 2000 Ironman Pro Invitational, 5th
- 1999 Arnold Classic, 8th
- 1999 Ironman Pro Invitational, 4th
- 1999 Night of Champions, 8th
- 1998 Arnold Classic, 6th
- 1998 Ironman Pro Invitational, 2nd
- 1998 Night of Champions, 7th
- 1998 Mr. Olympia, 13th
- 1998 San Francisco Pro Invitational, 3rd
- 1996 Arnold Classic, 10th
- 1996 Florida Pro Invitational, 9th
- 1996 Ironman Pro Invitational, 5th
- 1995 Arnold Classic, 8th
- 1995 Florida Pro Invitational, 3rd
- 1995 Houston Pro Invitational, 7th
- 1995 Ironman Pro Invitational, 5th
- 1995 Niagara Falls Pro Invitational, 5th
- 1995 Night of Champions, 9th
- 1995 Mr. Olympia, 15th
- 1995 San Jose Pro Invitational, 5th
- 1995 South Beach Pro Invitational, 3rd
- 1992 World Amateur Championships, Light-Heavyweight, 1st and Overall
- 1992 Chicago Pro Invitational, 12th
- 1992 Night of Champions, 11th
- 1990 World Amateur Championships, Light-Heavyweight, 2nd
- 1989 Trinidad Invitational Natural, Light-Heavyweight, 1st and Overall
- 1989 World Amateur Championships, Light-Heavyweight, 5th
- 1986 WNBF (World Natural Bodybuilding Federation), 1st